Pink Dogwood at sunset

Pink Dogwood at sunset

About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Photographer, Gardener, Farmer in training, Crafter, Chef Extraordinaire, Disney Enthusiast, Travel bug.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Christmas Crafts

I saw this idea on Pinterest, and decided to try it on my own, with a few modifications.  I saw people using Modpodge, and wondered what ever happend to using good old fashions Elmers?  I bought the old light bulbs from the thrift store, for .99 a box.  All the other supplies I already had laying around the house.

Glitter bulbs

Supply list 

Elmers Glue
Paint Brush
Old Christmas Light Bulbs
Glitter
Clear coat, or clear nail polish (if deisred)
Ribbon or pretty string







First as set up, I used a plastic table cloth to lay down and then put a pizza box lid on top of it.  This was my work surface.  It made clean up so much easier.  I did this craft with my 7 year old daughter and my husband got in on 2 bulbs himself.

First I put a little bit of glue on my paint brush and covered the glass on the bulb completely with a thin layer of glue.

Then we sprinkled the glitter evenly over the bulb.

I layed the bulbs out to dry on the pizza box.  You can spray them with clear coat to seal in the glitter is you wish.  I like things to look more folky, so I left them as they were.

After the bulbs are completely dry, I used a little bit of glue around the metal of the bulb and then tied ribbon around them. The glue helps secure the ribbon. You can hang them individually as ornaments. or string them all together as garland.  You can also just put the bulbs in a pretty bowl or vase for decoration on your table.



Keep in mind, I had help from a young one, so the bulbs are not all perfect.  It was alot of fun doing this, and pretty easy.  I am sure you can get more perfect results if you do the craft alone, if thats what you wish.  Personally I like my kid crafts, not quite perfect, but perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment