Pink Dogwood at sunset

Pink Dogwood at sunset

About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Photographer, Gardener, Farmer in training, Crafter, Chef Extraordinaire, Disney Enthusiast, Travel bug.

Monday, April 8, 2013

National Cherry Blossom Festival Washington DC 2013

The blossom watch predicted peak bloom from the 6th-8th.  When we arrived down town, we saw this wasnt even close to true.  I would say only 4 or 5 trees were in full bloom, most were still in the budding stage.  But thats ok, I didnt mind.  Ya see, being from Michigan our spring doesnt come until May.  So when I see flowers in February and April, I get all kinds of happy! 

I convinced both my husband, and my 7 year old daughter to get up at 5 am and head on up to DC.  About an hours drive from my house.  I dont know why they let me talk them into such things, but I am so grateful they go along.  We arrived in Dc just as the sun was starting to crest the horizon.  

We have only been in this area for a year and a half, so much of DC is still left unexplored.  It was my first time visiting the Jefferson Memorial.  It was virtually emtpy.  I am not sure if this is because it was so early in the morning, or because everyone was outside viewing the cherry blossoms.   Either way, it was nice to enjoy the quiet beauty of it all.  

I have heard alot of other photographers complain about wasting the trip to DC this weekend, only to see the flowers NOT in full bloom.  I dont consider it a waste at all.  I got the pleasure to see and photograph the flowers in all their stages of progressions.  From tiny pink buds, to pink with a little white, to full white cloud bursts.  It was so magical to witness.  

Another handy little tip, besides going before dawn, is to go inland.  Everyone was set up on the tidal basin, seeing the same thing, getting the same shots.  We walked inland some and got to see Cherry blossoms, but also other flowering trees, and monuments that were virtually going unnoticed.  

 A beautiful magnolia basking in the morning sunshine.  Lending its fragrance, and colors to a magical morning.

 The lonely dogwood, hiding itself from the crowds up near the Roosevelt monument.










Dr King watching over the whole event, with his majestic stare.
and finally the massive Roosevelt display.  
All of these sites, a first for my family.  It was so much beauty to take in, and all before 9 am.  It was another one of our famous Rivera Adventures.  Seeing new things, things I can share with you. There is so much to see and do here.  Free things, I might add.  So many more adventures to be had.  So much more exploring to do.  I am so greatful I am blessed with this life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment